OpenOffice problem with Hebrew GUI

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 17:06:25 UTC 2006

On 20/06/06, Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On 16/06/06, Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> wrote:
> >> I have upgraded to Dapper and installed all the Hebrew packages I could
> >> find (except the Gnome ones) and everything is working well :-) Except
> >> that is, OpenOffice.
> >>
> >> When the GUI of OpenOffice is in English there is no problems but if I
> >> change the 'User Interface' (Tools > Options > Languages) to Hebrew,
> >> then restart OpenOffice, all the Font fields are empty! There are other
> >> issues as well including the fact that if I go to change the 'User
> >> Interface' settings, everything is grayed out.
> >>
> >> I have to delete /home/nigel/.openoffice.org2 and restart OpenOffice
> >> again - and keep it in English :-(
> >>
> >> Anybody else experience this (in other languages as well) - is it just a
> >> Kubuntu bug or an OpenOffice one?
> >>
> >> Blessings,
> >>
> >> Nigel
> >>

> > It's a OOo issue. Not long ago, the Hebrew translation was
> > half-German. I'd recommend sticking with the English interface (great
> > way to improve our English) or to use Koffice. In fact, I'm so happy
> > with Koffice (fast startup, no lag) that it's all I use now. Unless
> > you need some real advanced features, then Koffice should be enough.
> > Note that some .doc files display better in OOo than in Koffice,
> > though.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> > http://what-is-what.com
> > 4442
> >

> Thanks Dotan,
>
> I'm not a word processor kinda guy but my children need it for school
> homework.
>
> I just found a couple of annoying  bugs[?] - one in OOo, where although
> there was a space between two words it printed with no space (I had to
> put in an 'extra' space to get it to print properly) this only happened
> to two sets of words in a couple of small paragraphs (Hebrew).
> The other one in KWord is that typing in Hebrew (it's OK in English), if
> you continue typing until you get to the end of the line and it
> automatically jumps to the next line, there is a 'half space' at the
> beginning of the line that can't be gotten rid of :-)
>
> Maybe I should teach them HTML and CSS :-)
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

Nigel, first check that you are on the latest versions of the two
programs. If you are, then you should report these bugs to OOo and
KDE. If the documents that cause the bug to show are not sensitive,
then you could include them in the bug report.

I haven't had these problems, and I've always been on the latest
builds. If you want to sned to me the documents, I'll check them
personally. Tell me if they are sensitive so that I will not share
them with others.

Dotan Cohen
http://auto-car.info
4