OpenOffice problem with Hebrew GUI

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Tue Jun 20 18:43:45 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 20/06/06, Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> wrote:

[snip]

>> Thanks Dotan,
>>
>> I'm not a word processor kinda guy but my children need it for school
>> homework.
>>
>> I just found a couple of annoying  bugs[?] - one in OOo, where although
>> there was a space between two words it printed with no space (I had to
>> put in an 'extra' space to get it to print properly) this only happened
>> to two sets of words in a couple of small paragraphs (Hebrew).
>> The other one in KWord is that typing in Hebrew (it's OK in English), if
>> you continue typing until you get to the end of the line and it
>> automatically jumps to the next line, there is a 'half space' at the
>> beginning of the line that can't be gotten rid of :-)
>>
>> Maybe I should teach them HTML and CSS :-)
>>
>> Blessings,
>>
>> Nigel
>>

> Nigel, first check that you are on the latest versions of the two
> programs. If you are, then you should report these bugs to OOo and
> KDE. If the documents that cause the bug to show are not sensitive,
> then you could include them in the bug report.
>
> I haven't had these problems, and I've always been on the latest
> builds. If you want to sned to me the documents, I'll check them
> personally. Tell me if they are sensitive so that I will not share
> them with others.
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://auto-car.info
> 4

I did some more checking on the 00o problem (the printing one). It seems
that it is a problem with the font 'Arial'. My son had to write a short
couple of sentences:
בחרתי בנושא הקקטוס כי הוא צמח מסקרן

(I only typed the first one as it's the one with the problems).
The problem is that using Arial size 16, everything looks OK but when
printed the בחרתי and בנושא and כי and הוא are joined together.
However, if I change the font to David clm (culmus) size 16, then
everything prints OK.

I suppose I need to experiment some more to see if there are other
fonts/sizes that cause problems before I file a bug report.

Thanks for the encouragement though :-)

Blessings,

Nigel

P.S. What part of the country are you from? We are on Kibbutz Ramat
Hakovesh, near Kfar Saba.

--
PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/