two network interfaces active at the same time?

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 19 16:40:02 UTC 2006

Lucia Sanchez wrote:

> Priyadarsan Roy wrote:
>> Hi Chirstopher,
>>
>> I believe a machine can only have only one default gateway at a time.
>> Even though the $route -n might show you two entries, only the last one
>> will work.
>>

> I was slightly confused by Christopher's mail, so could you please
> clarify exactly what you want:
>
> 1. Two network interfaces both connected to the same network.  In this
> case, it is as Priyadarsan has said, only one of them can act as default.
> 2. Use your machine as a kind of router between both interfaces.
> 3. Be able to access two networks, one through each interface, whilst
> only one of them will be you default gateway (such as the network /
> router you must go through to acces web pages, for example).
>
> Cheers,

Actually, you can have two default gateways (as listed by the route
command), but only the top one will "match" and thus be active, but I know
what you're saying and I know not to do that.

This is what I'm going for:

$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0   0   ath0
192.168.2.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0   0   eth0
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0   0   ath0

Read: "All traffic destine for 192.168.1.* goes through device ath0.  All
traffic destine for 192.168.2.* goes through device eth0.  All other
traffic defaults to using gateway 192.168.1.1 (through device ath0)."

That's what I want, but I don't know how to setup the devices.  I don't know
what GUI to use.  Furthermore, I don't even know what text files to edit
because I'm a Fedora user and I'm used to editing stuff
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, which doesn't exist in Kubuntu.

What I would do in Fedora is the system-config-network GUI to initially
setup my network scripts for the various devices I want.  Then I might
tweak them by hand a little.  Then simply use ifup/ifdown to turn them on
and off.  I was actually hoping to go pure GUI in Kubuntu (getting older,
not liking editing text files anymore...;)).

Thanks for the help,
-- Christopher