No Package Update?

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jun 14 04:15:03 UTC 2006

alvonsius albert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is this just me or anybody have the same feeling that there is no package
> update since last time (maybe around last week?) from the repository (at
> least for the main package)? If this only me, then did the problem was
> related to "apt-get clean" command I did few days ago? Did removing all the
> packages from your /var/cache/apt/archive will broke the relation between my
> current version of package with the new one from the repository?
>
> TIA

I haven't noticed any updates recently ether but then again I've been
getting:
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
Failed to fetch
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/dapper/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)

and when I download Packages.gz and try to unpack it gzip doesn't like
it, but ark will unpack it ??
so I've had to just copy that to
/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_dapper_main_binary-i386_Packages
manually.

But to answer your question.
No, removing the packages from the cache (/var/cache/apt/archive) wont
break anything.
Old packages usually get deleted automatically anyway.

Tez