Breezy to Dapper upgrade tips

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 13 19:56:33 UTC 2006

On 06/13/2006 08:15 PM, Per wrote:
> Oscar Carlsson skrev:
>> tisdag 13 juni 2006 19:57 skrev Jose Gomez-Dans:
>>

>>> Hi!
>>> I want to upgrade my Kubuntu install from Breezy to Dapper. Rather
>>> than do
>>> a clean install (I have loads of extra software installed, and I
>>> don't want
>>> to reinstall all that as well), is it safe and trouble free to change my
>>> sources to dapper and do an apt-get update  and an apt-get
>>> dist-upgrade? Is
>>> there anything I should bear in mind before attempting this?
>>>

>> It should be safe.
>> Just make sure you have a fast broadband and something to do for a few
>> hours - I recommend watching Star Trek ;)
>>
>> Oscar
>>

> Nothing is safe in this world, of course something will go wrong when u
> upgrade.
> Unless you have a total backup of everything......

This kind of update failed totally on my machine :( not only eventually
the machine hanged up during upgrade (I had to hard reset it) but also
completely messed up the system so it was unbootable. I ended up
installing Dapper from scratch.

My take would be: do it right, do clean install and be done with it.

Have fun, anyway!

Dariusz