3d acceleration (i810)

Manuel McLure manuel at mclure.org
Sun Jun 11 03:41:14 UTC 2006

MLA wrote:
>     I've been looking at the various wikis and HOWTOs (K/Ubuntu's included)
> and still cannot get proper 3d acceleration. Namely, when running something
> like glxgears, my CPU usage shoots up to nearly 100%, which I interpret to
> mean that the GPU isn't being used. I have tried setting the DefaultDepth in
> xorg.conf to both 16 and 24 (since I read somewhere that acceleration at 24
> isn't there yet), but 16 uses more CPU than 24 (which chugged along at 80% or
> thereabouts.) In addition, when I run glxgears from the command line, I don't
> get any fps listed (in fact, nothing is listed), but it's definitely not
> going fast.

The CPU usage of glxgears is not a good indicator of whether your GPU is
in use. I get 97% usage on my GeForce 6800GS which I *know* is correctly
configured (try running Doom 3 without GPU acceleration :) )

glxgears uses so little of the GPU's power that it's mostly CPU-bound
anyway.

If you want to find out whether your GPU is being used, run

$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

If it says "direct rendering: No" then you need to work on the
configuration. If it says "Yes" you should be fine.

--
Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW <manuel at mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,