GL Screensavers Disabled??

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jun 7 17:48:55 UTC 2006

Dave Vincenty wrote:
> I have all the XScreenSaver and KDE screen saver packages, as far as I know.
>
> Specifically, the packages I seem to have are:
>
> - *kscreensaver* (KDE's screen savers)
> - *kscreensaver-xsavers* (supposed to make the XScreenSavers play along
> with those of KDE, but it's not working)
> - *ktux* (a cute 3D model of Tux in space)
> - *rss-glx* (Mr. Welsh's shiny screen savers that I don't really use)
> - *screensaver-default-images* (pictures for screensavers designed to
> grab pictures)
> - *xscreensaver* (Mr. Zawinski's delightful program)
> - *xscreensaver-data* (XScreenSavers that don't need GL)
> - *xscreensaver-data-extra* (non-GL XScreenSavers that don't come with
> Ubuntu)
> - *xscreensaver-gl* (XScreenSavers in 3D)
> - *xscreensaver-gl-extra* (possible home of the Bouncing Cow)
>
> That should pretty much cover it, right?  I've even reinstalled those
> programs.
>
> Right now, I just have XScreenSaver set to run when I'm idle instead of
> KScreenSaver.  Still, that doesn't explain what went wrong when I
> upgraded to Dapper Drake... or what happened to the few screen savers I
> should still have but don't.
>

> ~~~ dave ~~~
> A delicious delicacy.
It seems, for some reason, the .desktop files for some GL screensavers
aren't created in
/usr/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers/
and this is where KDE looks for them.
So if you want, for example, the Bouncing Cow
you have to create a bouncingcow.desktop file containing:
--CUT-HERE--
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=bouncingcow
Icon=kscreensaver
Type=Application
Actions=InWindow;Root
Name=Bouncing Cow (GL)

[Desktop Action Setup]
Exec=kxsconfig bouncingcow
Name=Setup...

[Desktop Action InWindow]
Exec=kxsrun bouncingcow -- -window-id %w
Name=Display in specified window
NoDisplay=true

[Desktop Action Root]
Exec=kxsrun bouncingcow -- --root