Forcing KMail to stop trying to use KDE Wallet?

David M lists2006 at viewport.ukfsn.org
Tue Jun 6 14:26:58 UTC 2006

[Apologies for posting this to kubuntu-users separately. I previously
asked this question on the main Ubuntu list but with no response]

KMail has the good sense to warn users of potential security
implications of their actions or program settings: amongst other things,
it warns that saving email passwords in the program config file may be a
security risk and exhorts the use of the KDE Wallet system.

Foolishly, out of curiosity, I decided to take KMail's advice to see how
this might help. Unfortunately, this results in the unbelievably
irritating situation that I would have to enter the KDE Wallet password
every time I start up KMail. This saves me nothing over not saving my
mail password and having to enter it every time.

I'd much prefer to revert to KMail just storing my email password in its
config file *and be done with it*. I think I have managed to extract and
remove my password from the KDE Wallet's grasping clutches, but now
KMail whinges every time I exit with an even more annoying *two*
requesters:

Gimme the KDE Wallet password, gimme, gimme!

<cancel>

Oh, KWallet isn't available..
(Yes, can't you just take the #$%@ing hint?)
..do you want to store your password in the config file?

<store (and please stop nagging me!)>

*Every* *single* *time*. :-(

How can I get KMail to Do What I Mean and force KDE Wallet to foad (ahem)?

I'm running KMail v1.9.1 within Kontact 1.2 if it makes any difference.

Thanks for any advice,

David.

--
| David M,    __________| replyto email valid <365 days | en, fr, (de) |