Pin priority of packages

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jul 17 15:30:12 UTC 2006

John L Fjellstad wrote:

> Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> writes:
>
>> Why?  Ubuntu's practices should ensure that there's never a situation
>> where you have a security archive with the same version as the default
>> archive, so pinning shouldn't matter.
>
> I just found out I needed to upgrade 69 packages after changing the pin
> priority for dapper-security to 999, so it seems the packages wasn't
> being upgraded, even though their version numbers were higher than the
> installed version.
>
> Hmmm... looking at the apt_preferences(5), it should have upgraded
> without the pin change.  Need to do some more research into this.

Do you have a default repository set in apt preferences?

iirc, default priority of any repo is 500.  If you set a default repo either
at the command line or in the config files, you raise its pin priority to
700 (the numbers may be wrong, but that's the idea).  If you just move all
the conf files out of the way, it should find all the security packages.
--
derek