WIFI problem

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 19:57:57 UTC 2006

On Saturday 15 July 2006 10:27 am, vayu wrote:
> Wireless broke for me in Dapper too.  Only it turns out it wasn't
> wireless, it was WPA.  I can connect unsecured.  JR, you might wan't
> to check if you can connect when turning off the authentication on
> both your router and on your machine.
> Howard, might you be able to give an example of how wpa_supplicant
> has changed in Dapper?
>
> On Jul 15, 2006, at 4:01 AM, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> > On Friday 14 July 2006 4:49 pm, jr22 at bellsouth.net wrote:
> >> After installing Dapper from CD,  I can no longer connect to
> >> my router.  Worked OK on Breezy.  When I do a SCAN, it can't see
> >> my router.
> >>  I have a NetGear WG311 v2. I have tried everything that I know to no
> >> avail.  Can someone help me ?
> >>
> >> JR Johnson
> >> jr22 at bellsouth.net
> >
> > Is that NetGear the NIC or the WAP?  (I'm really unfamiliar with
> > NetGear, and
> > it sounds like you're focused on the router or WAP.
> >
> > Anyway.  You need to make sure your wireless driver is loaded, and
> > that
> > wpa_supplicant, or whatever wpa-??? security modules are properly
> > configured.
> >
> > If you use wpa_supplicant it has changed dramatically with later
> > versions
> > without any update, BTW, of any man pages or documentation.

This is where you configure what "wpasupplicant config file" you use now:
In the /etc/network/interfaces file add:

auto ath0
iface ath0 inet dhcp
        wpa-driver madwifi
        wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpasupplicant.conf

there is no more /etc/default/wpasupplicant  OR /etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant
startup script.

I can't remember where I found this, but here's what's in
my /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpasupplicant.conf:

# WPA-PSK/TKIP

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1