problem with /dev/rfcomm0

Riccardo Veraldi Riccardo.Veraldi at cnaf.infn.it
Sat Jul 15 17:55:06 UTC 2006

Hello,
I haev Kubuntu 6.06
I configured it to connect via UMTS/GPRS using bluetooth
device.
Actually I think I did everything correctly but when I start pppd
or gnme-ppp or kppp I have the following error

Failed to open /dev/rfcomm0: Connection refused

the bluetooth device is seen correctly

# hciconfig
hci0:   Type: USB
        BD Address: 00:0A:3A:6E:06:01 ACL MTU: 1017:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
        UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
        RX bytes:375 acl:0 sco:0 events:17 errors:0
        TX bytes:319 acl:0 sco:0 commands:17 errors:0

# hcitool inq
Inquiring ...
        00:12:37:9D:3C:53       clock offset: 0x2d52    class: 0x522204

I can ping the phone mac address with l2ping

I do not know what else I can do...
here I report my whole configuration.
any suggestions ?

here is /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf

rfcomm0 {
  bind yes;
#       # Bluetooth address of the device
        device 00:12:37:9D:3C:53;
#       # RFCOMM channel for the connection
        channel 1;
#       # Description of the connection
        comment "Motorola E770V";

here is /etc/bluetoth/hcid.conf

options {
        # Automatically initialize new devices
        autoinit yes;

        # Security Manager mode
        #   none - Security manager disabled
        #   auto - Use local PIN for incoming connections
        #   user - Always ask user for a PIN
        #
        security user;

        # Pairing mode
        #   none  - Pairing disabled
        #   multi - Allow pairing with already paired devices
        #   once  - Pair once and deny successive attempts
        pairing multi;

        # PIN helper
        pin_helper /usr/bin/pinwrapper;

        # D-Bus PIN helper
        #dbus_pin_helper;
}

# Default settings for HCI devices
device {
        # Local device name
        #   %d - device id
        #   %h - host name
        name "%h-%d";

        # Local device class
        class 0x3e0100;

        # Default packet type
        #pkt_type DH1,DM1,HV1;

        # Inquiry and Page scan
        iscan enable; pscan enable;

        # Default link mode
        #   none   - no specific policy
        #   accept - always accept incoming connections
        #   master - become master on incoming connections,
        #            deny role switch on outgoing connections
        lm accept;

        # Default link policy
        #   none    - no specific policy
        #   rswitch - allow role switch
        #   hold    - allow hold mode
        #   sniff   - allow sniff mode
        #   park    - allow park mode
        lp rswitch,hold,sniff,park;

        # Authentication and Encryption (Security Mode 3)
        #auth enable;
        #encrypt enable;
}

in the file pin I put the pin number for bluetooth communication

Here is the TIM file (provider) in /etc/ppp/peers

# These are the options to dial out to your default service provider.
# Please customize them correctly. Only the "provider" file will be
# handled by poff and pon (unless with extra command line arguments).

# You usually need this if there is no PAP authentication
noauth

# The chat script (be sure to edit that file, too!)
#connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/umts_tim"

# Set up routing to go through this PPP link
defaultroute

# Default modem (you better replace this with /dev/ttySx!)
#/dev/ttyS0

# Bluetooth interface in case of channel 0 usage, else substitute with
# the opportune channel interface, i.e. /dev/rfcomm1 for channel 1
/dev/rfcomm0

# USB and cabled interface
# /dev/ttyACM0

# Speed
#115200
460800

# Keep modem up even if connection fails
persist
crtscts
lock
modem
noipdefault
debug
nodetach
usepeerdns
remotename umts_tim
ipparam umts_tim
novj
# To keep connection up with gprs device
ipcp-accept-remote
ipcp-accept-local
lcp-echo-interval 0
lcp-echo-failure 0

here is the file umts_tim in /etc/chatscripts

#TIMEOUT 5
#ECHO ON
ABORT BUSY
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
ABORT VOICE
ABORT 'NO DIALTONE'
ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE'
ABORT 'NO ANSWER'
ABORT DELAYED

# Reset the line
'' ATZ
#OK-AT-OK AT+CGQREQ=1,2,4,3,6,31
#OK-AT-OK AT+CGQMIN=1,2,4,3,6,31

# Choose the connection parameters
#
# automantico
#
OK-AT-OK AT_OPSYS=5
#
# gprs
#
#OK-AT-OK AT_OPSYS=2
#
# umts
#
#OK-AT-OK AT_OPSYS=3
#
# solo umts
#
#OK-AT-OK AT_OPSYS=1
#OK-AT-OK at+cpin="XXXX"

# Connection to the Vodafone Italia network
OK-AT-OK AT+cgdcont=1,"ip","ibox.tim.it",,0,0

# Dial the number. In a GPRS connection you only need to use the
# following, meanwhile in a 56k modem you need the real modem number,
# i.e. 701234567890
OK-AT-OK ATDT*99***1#
# The modem is waiting for the following answer
CONNECT ''

thanks a lot

Rick