Playing .asx video files (via mms stream)

Kelly L. Fulks kfulks at knology.net
Fri Jul 14 21:19:25 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 13/07/06, Tez <binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> It depends what codec is used in the file, you might be able to tell by
>> holding
>> the cursor over the file and see if it says there, or you could go in a
>> console and
>> type "file filename.asx"
>> eg:
>> when I used mimms to download a radio stream i got,
>> tez at host:~$ file output
>> output: Microsoft ASF
>>
>> So I make can tell the media player to use the asf codec if it doesn't
>> recognise it.
>>
>> Tez
>>

> Thanks, Tez. I don't seem to have an ASF codec installed. Off to google...
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://technology-sleuth.com
> 234

I now have some more info on this issue.  I too have been having a
problem with a ASF stream and I just got it working.  Let me outline my
experience and maybe it will help others.

I use Kaffeine to play the stream and the video would be perfect but the
audio was either non-existent or would burst out a noise occasionally.
When the stream was playing if I selected Player->Track Information, the
audio portion would say "Windows Media Audio v2 (ffmpeg)".

I then when to Settings->xine Engine Parameters and then click on engine
in the left scroll window and then click on the "Expert Options" tab.  I
then scrolled down and set "decoder_priorities.ffmpegaudio" to -1.  Now
when I select Player->Track Information, the audio portion says "Windows
Media Audio v2 (win32)" and it works properly.

I can't say that this will work in every case, but it certainly works
for me on two separate machines.  I hope that it helps someone else.

--
Kelly L. Fulks
Home Account