how to disable media:/ feature?

Claudia Ringwald claudia_ringwald at web.de
Tue Jan 31 23:33:52 UTC 2006

Hi Derek,

Am Montag, 30. Januar 2006 21:40 schrieb Derek Broughton:
> Claudia Ringwald wrote:
> > I have a floppy shown there - and clicking on it mounts the inserted
> > floppy - but then the displayed folder (media:/fd0) shows nothing. The
> > floppy ist mounted to /media/floppy0 - but this folder does not exist in
> > media.
>
> It's hard to say if it's correct without knowing what your floppy device is
> like, but folders won't exist until the corresponding /dev node is created
> - ie, if you don't have a permanently attached floppy drive you won't
> always have a folder in /media.

For your information: I have a permanently attached floppy in my toshiba
laptop.

> Do you have an entry for the floppy in /etc/fstab?  If so, I'd remove it...

Yes I have an entry pointing to /media/floppy0

I followed your advice an deleted - no uncommented this line and then did a
sudo mount - a
After this I did try out, what media:/ does now.

Klicking on the floppy icon - then the laptop does mount "noise" - then the
folder system:/media/fd0 is opened - and it is empty (as before).
But now when I open the folder /media/fd0 the content of the floppy is there.
When I click back to system:/media - the floppy is shown as unmounted though
the floppy ist mounted to /media/fd0

Another change: when I had the entry in my fstab, I was able to
umount /media/floppy0 as normal user. Now (with no entry in the fstab) I need
to do this as root.

Did I miss something?

Unfortunately this does not look like a solution for me.

Best regards,

Claudia