New graphical startup and shutdown

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 17:20:56 UTC 2006

On 1/25/06, Art Alexion <art.alexion at verizon.net> wrote:

> So now, if shutdown is taking way too long, as it occasionally has
> started to take, I have no idea what step it is choking on so that I can
> fix it.
>
> Is this the new normal for Kubuntu or a problem with my system?  If its
> the new normal, is there a way to restore the old shutdown behavior?  If
> it is my system, any ideas how I can fix it?

I don't think it is normal.

I have had the graphical startup since I switched to Kubuntu a month or two
ago.

When I shut down, I get a graphical shutdown that disappears (I guess when
kdm is stopped), then a brief black screen, then the usual text messages of
services being stopped, then another black screen with the blinking
underline until the system finishes the shutdown.  Sometimes that last step
takes awhile (more than half a second), but I haven't investigated it.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own