udev problems - breezy

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jan 18 16:11:42 UTC 2006

Art Alexion wrote:

> Ever since upgrading hoary->breezy, I have not been able to connect my
> palm device via usb for syncing.  It appears it is a udev problem.  Has
> anyone else experienced this?  Solutions?
>
> the kde system services dialog indicates the udev is not running, but
> cautions when I try to start it from there.  Could that be the problem?

udev is always running (/sbin/udevd).  It isn't a kde system service, so you
wouldn't see it there.

> Pointer to a udev how-to aimed at users (as opposed to programmers)?

Yes, http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

This used to be included as part of the udev package.  Too bad it isn't
anymore.

I keep forgetting to try out kpilot under ubuntu.  I've been just syncing my
palm to my XP desktop for months.  You may need to go back to
trying /dev/pilot instead of /dev/ttyUSB*.
--
derek