KDE 3.5 upgrade packages broken issue

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jan 6 02:03:56 UTC 2006

A. Clark wrote:

> Did my first install of kubuntu yesterday, and today found that all did
> not go well with the kde 3.5 upgrade (as others have reported...).
>
> The area that I had problems with was with everything relating to
> kdepim.  Turns out that you have to have the breezy universe component
> enabled in the repositories, otherwise libgnokii2, which is depended
> upon by kaddressbook, will not be found and installed.

Except that libgnokii2 isn't required for kaddressbook.  I have kontact, but
no libgnokii*

derek at othello:~$ apt-cache rdepends libgnokii2
libgnokii2
Reverse Depends:
  libgnokii2-dev
  libgnokii2-dev
  gnome-phone-manager
  gnokii-smsd
  gnokii

> What's kind of disappointing is that Adept can't provide this
> information... maybe it's too young yet, I'm not sure... but rather than

Maybe Adept was right (I couldn't say, because I don't actually like it and
use aptitude from the command line).

> telling me something's simply "broken", a simple why would probably
> help many out (including providing information for the
> developers/packagers) in these situations.  *shrug*
>
> kpackage, while not being much brainier, did provide me with the info.
> after probing around a bit.  (And I'm sure if I was real familiar with
> dpkg and/or the apt utilities I'd have been able to find it easier
> too...)

I still really like kpackage.  I don't actually use it to install or remove
anything, because it doesn't use aptitude, so doesn't do a good job of
cleaning up unneeded packages, but I wish the kubuntu team had worked with
kpackage instead of synaptic.
--
derek