Setting up Printers

bruce bbales at cox.net
Mon Jan 2 22:35:00 UTC 2006

I, too have been having a setup problem with an HP printer, the psc1315.
I go through all the installation:

install python-dev
install libsnmp5-dev
install libcupsys2-dev
install python-qt3
install lsb
Install hplip - then:
# /etc/init.d/hplip restart
# /etc/init.d/cups restart

Everything looks good so far.  Then
http://localhost:631 brings up the cups page, and shows the psc1315 as
default printer and the instruction  "If you are asked for a username
and password, enter your login username and password or the "root"
username and password."

The  password box has a default username of "cupsys."  if I change the
name to my username of root and user the appropriate password it fails.

The printer will accept print jobs, but they just pile up in a queue and
can't even be canceled or removed.

Of course the printer works with windows.

sure would appreciate some help.
bruce