Setting up Printers

Art Alexion art.alexion at
Tue Jan 3 01:15:48 GMT 2006

bruce wrote:

>I, too have been having a setup problem with an HP printer, the psc1315.
>I go through all the installation:
>install python-dev
>install libsnmp5-dev
>install libcupsys2-dev
>install python-qt3
>install lsb
>Install hplip - then:
># /etc/init.d/hplip restart
># /etc/init.d/cups restart
>Everything looks good so far.  Then
>http://localhost:631 brings up the cups page, and shows the psc1315 as
>default printer and the instruction  "If you are asked for a username
>and password, enter your login username and password or the "root"
>username and password."
>The  password box has a default username of "cupsys."  if I change the
>name to my username of root and user the appropriate password it fails.
>The printer will accept print jobs, but they just pile up in a queue and
>can't even be canceled or removed.
>Of course the printer works with windows.
>sure would appreciate some help.
Here's my setup:

HP DeskJet 820C Foomatic/pnm2ppa (recommended)
URI: ipp://rodney(localhost):631/printers/DeskJet-820C
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0

If you don't want to use the kde tool to set it up fire up konqueror, go
to http://localhost:631 where you get a nice interface for configuring
CUPS printers.

Now that this has come up, I remember previous discussions/complaints
that the foomatic drivers were the only ones that worked and that they
weren't installed by default.  Download them if you have to.

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @

Key for signed PDFs available at