??power fail->fsck = lost time format and kde global keyboard shortcut settings??

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Tue Feb 21 01:37:48 UTC 2006

??power fail->fsck = lost time format and kde global keyboard
shortcut settings??

Hello, I've been using kubuntu 5.10 long enough to decide to make it my
primary linux installation on my multi-boot pc. I'm using a p3 desktop
withOUT any power back-up. so when bad weather interrupts my electric
power my pc crashes...

Usually this is no more than an aggravation. I simply run fsck from a
*different linux partition before rebooting the one I was using when the
power went out... {*I have root scripts in each of my 4 current linux's
that feed all the other linux partitions to fsck via [fsck -t ext2 $A -p]
so that I don't even have to remember which partition is which to fix
the uncleanly mounted partition(s)}

I've found this easier than having to resort to a rescue cd (such as
knoppix) that generally make me remember which partitions I need fsck.
I've been doing it this way for years with distros from slackware, to
SuSE, to Redhat, to mandrake, to fedora, and now to kubuntu.

Well I recently lost power to the high winds that whipped through New
Hampshire. When I got it back the first thing I did was select my
mandrake 9.1 installation from the grub menu and run the root script.
and it supposedly fixed things as per usual. But this time when I fired
up kubuntu it balked at mounting the root filesystem because it
had ( I think it said "unexpected errors" ) and wanted me to run fsck
manually (without options like -a or -p)...

This has happened before (rarely) with one of the other distros, but
never do I remember losing user kde settings such as using the
"am/pm" 12 hr clock format on the taskbar or the few:
(control center -> regional & accessibility -> keyboard shortcuts)
that I know I had set up differently than the kde default. And oh yeah,
the default screen saver that I hadn't customized yet stopped working. I
had to specifically turn one of them on...

As far as I can see these are the only settings that were lost.
None of my other kde settings (from wallpaper to restoring manually
saved sessions etc...) were affected.

I would have thought that if it lost anything, I should have lost a lot
more than that??

Is it "normal" for such things to return to default settings in kubuntu
when the filesystem had errors that were repaired via fsck???

   ##_if_you'd_prefer_an_clearsigned_".asc"_text_file_of_this_##
   ##message_as_an_mime_encoded_attachment,just_ask_me_while__##
   ##it's_STILL_IN_my_outbox_folder_._._._=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+;-)_##
   #gpg sig for: Joe (theWordy) Philbrook DSA key ID 0x6C2163DE#
   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/ #