Starting/ Stopping Apache

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 01:52:42 UTC 2006

On 2/18/06, David A' Rebel <obsidion at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> On Saturday 18 February 2006 14:02, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I just installed apache2 via apt-get. When I type "service httpds
> > status" and am informed that there is no command "service". So, how is
> > apache (and sendmail) started/ stopped?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Dotan  Cohen
> > http://technology-sleuth.com/short_answer/what_is_a_firewall.html
> > 50
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7-Manual/ref-guide/s1-securing-startstop.html

Thanks, DaKar. I don't seem to have this:

root at ety:/etc/apache# /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start
-su: /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd: No such file or directory
root at ety:/etc/apache# /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop
-su: /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd: No such file or directory
root at ety:/etc/apache# man httpd
No manual entry for httpd
root at ety:/etc/apache#

I may have made a mistake. I installed apache, then apache2 via
apt-get. I did work then (127.0.0.1 returned the default apache page
to me). I then removed apache (via apt-get) and just to be safe
reinstalled apache2. Now it does not work (unable to connect to server
on 127.0.0.1).

Must apache be installed for apache2 to work? What am I missing?

Thanks for the patience.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/long_answer/what_is_a_firewall.html