Kaffeine problems - DVD and local avi

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 21:12:00 UTC 2006

When I play a DVD in Kaffeine the movie stutters- it is playing frame
by frame. I see that the drive's LED and the computer's LED flash
together, and when the movie starts stuttering, they flash more
slowly. This happens in every DVD that I try after about ten seconds
of playback. I can move to a different part of the film, and after a
few seconds of normal playback the stuttering starts again. The same
hardware worked perfectly in Windows XP Home so I don't think that the
drive is bad.

Also, when playing an avi file from the local hard drive, the quality
is horrible- most of the screen is squares that change slowly. The
audio is fine, however. This is an avi that played perfectly in
Windows XP Home. Is is located on a mounted FAT32 partition.

Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting advice that you can provide.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/long_answer/how_much_memory_will_i_need_for_my_digital_camera.html