Can't find network card

guido dom guido.dom at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 09:01:29 UTC 2006

Hello

I have the same wificard in my ACER ASPIRE laptop and it does not work with
ifconfig add and so on
I have installed the drivers with ndiswrapper and it is recognised but gets
no ipadres from dhcp

etc/network (I use Xandros)/interfaces seems to be correct; it shows two
interfaces eth0 (networkcard) and eth1 (wificard)

What now?

2006/2/9, James Gray <james at grayonline.id.au>:

> On Thursday 09 February 2006 12:41, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 February 2006 13:27, Hamster wrote:

> > > What does ifconfig -a report? If it shows an eth0 it means that
> kubuntu
> > > can see the card, but that no IP address has been configured for it.
> > >
> > > To configure an IP for the card, you'll need to
> > > edit /etc/networking/interfaces and either tell it to use DHCP or
> > > manually assign it an IP address.
> > >
> > > If ifconfig -a shows nothing other than lo, it means the drivers for
> > > the card aren't being loaded.
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > H.
> >
> > ifconfig shows only the loopback, so my assumption is that the drivers
> > aren't loaded.  lsmod also is unrevealing and insmod eth0 gets me
> something
> > like "what's that?!"  As I said, this was a fresh install in which the
> > network was detected and configured during the install.
>
> Yep. eth0 is an alias to a device, not a device in itself.  You need to
> know
> what chipset your card has, then load the kernel module that corresponds
> the *chipset*.
>
> For example, this lappy I typing on has an "Intel Pro Wireless 2200B/G"
> wifi
> card which is aliased to "eth0".  However, the correct modprobe spell is
> "modprobe ipw2200" which loads the ipw2200 module/driver.  IOW the
> "ipw2200"
> module is the driver for the NIC.
>
> > How do I get the drivers?
>
> Find the chipset, then find the driver (assuming one exists - which is
> likely
> unless you're using truly exotic hardware).  Randomly loading kernel
> modules
> is rather hit-and-miss and runs the risk of causing a kernel
> panic.  Although
> a panic would be unlikely, I have seen it happen.
>
> HTH,
>
> James
> --
> I'm proud to be paying taxes in the United States.  The only thing is
> -- I could be just as proud for half the money.
>                 -- Arthur Godfrey

Tel:+32 (0)58 239804  +32 (0)497 538736

Nog een mooie dag toegewenst.

Guido (Dom)