Problem finishing installation

Paul Kaplan pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 4 14:43:00 UTC 2006

On Saturday 04 February 2006 09:13, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> I'm trying to install 5.1.  About 1/3 of the way into the base install I
> get the following error message:
> "The debootstrap program exited with an error (return value 1).
> Check /target/var/log/bootstrap.log for details."
>
> The /target/var/log directory remains empty.
>
> Does anyone know what the error message means and why my install is
> aborting? Paul
More info:
I found a bunch of info from the installer on console 4.
The last 3 lines before I got the above error message are:
base installer: info: Execution hook before debootstrap
base installer: info: Running /var/lib/base-installer.d/01save-logs
base installer: info: Running /var/lib/base-installer.d/40netcfg

Does this help to answer my question?  Why can't I finish installing?