Installing kubuntu

Harry Vorstenbosch harry.vorstenbosch at zonnet.nl
Fri Feb 3 14:37:15 UTC 2006

Dear Reader(s), and or dear Paul,

I have installed Ubuntu on a Gericom laptop in where previously,
WindowsXP was installed on /dev/hda1 with ntfs (5,9GB) and in where my
data drive /dev/hda2 (15,6 GB) (previously formatted with vfat) to
exchange data between Windows and SuSE linux on partition /dev/hda3
(102MB)as the BOOT partition and /dev/hda6 (5,4GB) as the ROOT partition
for SuSE 10.0.
I converted, with SuSE, the vfat data drive to reiserfs later on to
exchange the data between Ubuntu and SuSE. At boot time I can choose
between SuSE (current default) and Ubuntu via GRUB.

I also replaced my FedoraCore4 installation with Ubuntu Breezy on my AMD
Athlon 64 bits machine in where WindowsXP with ntfs is installed
on /dev/hda1, and there are several partitions more, see next lines
which is my fstab file from SuSE 10.0. As you can see, WindowsXp
together with Ubuntu, SuSE 10.0 and SuSE 9.3 are all installed onto the
saame machine. Furthermore, I run a large vfat /dev/hdb6 partition were
I can exchange data between Windows and Linux and other machines in my
small private network. Inside the fstab file there are links to and from
other machines on my small (kingswood) network, so I can exchange files
between them using the SMB and/or the NFS file systems.
On the 64bits AMD machine I can choose for SuSE 10.0 (current default)
Ubuntu breezy, SuSE 9.3 and WindowsXP all of course via GRUB.

harry at darkstar:~> cat /etc/fstab
/dev/hda8       /       reiserfs        acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/hdb5       /suse93 reiserfs        defaults 1 2
/dev/hda6       /ubuntu/breezy  reiserfs        defaults 1 2
/dev/hda5       /ubuntu/start   reiserfs        defaults 1 2
/dev/hda1       /windows/C      ntfs    defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb6       /windows/E      vfat    defaults 0 0
/dev/hda7       swap    swap    defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb2       swap    swap    defaults 0 0
proc    /proc   proc    defaults 0 0
sysfs   /sys    sysfs   noauto 0 0
usbfs   /proc/bus/usb   usbfs   noauto 0 0
devpts  /dev/pts        devpts  mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
/dev/dvd        /media/dvd      subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/dvdram     /media/dvdram   subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
none    /subdomain      subdomainfs     noauto 0 0
obelix.kingwood:/home   /home/obelix    nfs     defaults 0 0
obelix.kingwood:/data2  /home/obelix/data2      nfs     defaults 0 0
obelix.kingwood:/data1  /home/obelix/data1      nfs     defaults 0 0
obelix.kingwood:/srv/ftp        /srv/ftp/obelix nfs     defaults 0 0
venus.kingwood:/data    /home/venus/data        nfs     defaults 0 0
venus.kingwood:/srv/ftp /srv/ftp/venus  nfs     defaults 0 0
harry at darkstar:~>

Resume, If you stay attend at installation time you would be able to
install (K)Ubuntu the way you want, but be aware and take notice on my
earlier writings in where I pinpoint to the "other" mounted partitions.