possible FQA: debian and Kubuntu compatibility; Xemacs

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Wed Dec 20 18:18:05 UTC 2006

   Rich> |     -  Can  debian package be installed under

   Rich> Some packages can be installed, and some cannot. Of course
   Rich> the MOTU goal is to make sure that all packages are
   Rich> interoperable like that.

   Rich> # APPLICATIONS
   Rich> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main restricted
   Rich> universe
   Rich> multiverse
   Rich> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates main
   Rich> restricted universe

   Rich> multiverse
   Rich> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-backports main
   Rich> restricted
   Rich> universe multiverse

[snip]

Thanks for the information. Why isn't your setting standard? That is
why isn't universe part of the standard installation.  With respect to
the interoperablity --although I presume this is already the subject
of blogs and flame ars--, I almost adore Kubuntu for its ease of the
installation and the superb configuration. However the fact that it is
not 100 % interoperable let me doubt to use it. Btw why isn't there in
the Kubuntu website a package search the way Debian provides. If you
hadn't answered my question I don't know whether I would have figured
out that XEmacs is in the universe tree.

Uwe Brauer