[kubuntu-users] Re: OOo 2.1

paul cooke paul.cooke100 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 23:26:18 UTC 2006

On Thursday 14 December 2006 20:26, D. R. Evans wrote:
> > The purpose of a long term supported release is to be stable, doing a
> > major upgrade of the largest package we have isn't compatible with
> > that.
>
> OK, I can understand that rationale. Thank you for explaining.
>
> (There does seem something not-quite-right in the fact that I
> downloaded and installed the Windows version of OOo 2.1 yesterday
> [with a five-year-old OS], but can't do the same with Kubuntu [with a
> six-month-old OS]. I'd love to discover whether an annoying printing
> problem that affects OOo in Kubuntu has been fixed.

I wouldn't know, I pulled the Ubuntu version of OOo  off all my boxes and
created my own debs for the official OOo 2.0.4 by using alien on the
extracted rpm files out of the .tgz download package. I'm slightly miffed
that 2.1 came out just a month after having done this, but it was good
training, so I just buckled down and repeated the process.

> > But if interest exists in doing backports for dapper, you should talk
> > to the backports team about having that happen.
>
> Half an hour later... OK, I give up. I can't figure out where to file
> requests (or to see what's already been requested). "Use launchpad",
> it says. So I've gone around and around in Launchpad trying to find
> the right combination of magic incantations to get me somewhere
> useful.
>
> Does anyone know the right URL to look at requested backports for dapper?

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47

and

https://launchpad.net/projects/ubp