Kubuntu - some first thoughts

Scott Mazur kubuntulists at littlefish.ca
Thu Dec 7 18:59:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 13:21:47 -0500, Art Alexion wrote
> On Thursday 07 December 2006 11:35, Scott Mazur wrote:
> > On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:15:35 +0000, Neil Winchurst wrote
> >
> > > K Menu > System Settings > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard. You will see
> > > 'Numlock on KDE Startup'. Choose 'Turn on'.
> >
> > That's all well and good, but what's up with choose 'Leave Unchanged'.
> > This should be the default.  For those with numeric keypads on the
> > keyboard, the numlock key should be the first place to go to when it's set
> > incorrectly.
> >
> > Kubuntu is the first distro I've tried that can't return the keyboard
> > numlock key to it's previous state without specifically setting it to
> > either 'turn on' or 'turn off'.
> >

> First off, the numlock thing is an X default, not a Kubuntu thing.
>  Second, having KDE turn it on isn't enough if you want to use the
> numlock with the KDM login because, X turns numlock off.  There is a
> way to get X to leave or turn numlock on.  I did it, but I don't
> remember how anymore.

Hey!  You're right!  I just played with different combinations of loging in
and out of with nunlock set/off on my old system and each logout turned it
back on in KDM and each login turned it back on in KDE.  Hmmm... Guess that's
what the 'numlock' daemon was for.

Shame KDE isn't smart enough by now to check and remember on it's own.  Can
anyone explain why 'on' wasn't chosen for the default setting?

Scott

--
Registered Linux user #395249, http://counter.li.org
Nothing goes to waste when Little Fish are near!