Kubuntu - some first thoughts

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Thu Dec 7 18:21:47 UTC 2006

On Thursday 07 December 2006 11:35, Scott Mazur wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:15:35 +0000, Neil Winchurst wrote
>
> > K Menu > System Settings > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard. You will see
> > 'Numlock on KDE Startup'. Choose 'Turn on'.
>
> That's all well and good, but what's up with choose 'Leave Unchanged'.
> This should be the default.  For those with numeric keypads on the
> keyboard, the numlock key should be the first place to go to when it's set
> incorrectly.
>
> Kubuntu is the first distro I've tried that can't return the keyboard
> numlock key to it's previous state without specifically setting it to
> either 'turn on' or 'turn off'.

First off, the numlock thing is an X default, not a Kubuntu thing.  Second,
having KDE turn it on isn't enough if you want to use the numlock with the
KDM login because, X turns numlock off.  There is a way to get X to leave or
turn numlock on.  I did it, but I don't remember how anymore.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @