Root login

Raphaël Pinson raphink at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 7 12:56:58 GMT 2006

On 12/7/06, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati <renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 07 December 2006 08:00, my mailbox was graced by a missive
> from Tez <binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk> who wrote:
>
> > I'm going to skip the whole "why you shouldn't log in as root" part, as
> > I assume you know all about that,
>
> This, often heard as a quasi-religious injunction, is crap.
>
> While loggin in as root has risks, ans should not be done for every day
> desktop use, there are sysadmin / netadmin tasks that can only be done as
> root.
>
> Which is, I suppose, why root was invented in the first place  ;-3)

While  it is a mere choice (which is not recommended) to use root login
instead of sudo on Kubuntu, it is a really bad idea to login as root
graphically, which is why login as root is disabled in kdmrc. You can access
administrative sections of the settings with sudo on Kubuntu, aswell as
login as root in a console if you really want to.

Sysadmin/netadmin tasks don't usually require a graphical interface, and
when they do, Kubuntu is set to provide an administrative interface with
sudo, so you never need to login as root.

Regards,

Raphaël Pinson - raphink at ichthux.com
http://www.raphink.info
Ichthux - http://www.ichthux.com - Linux for Christians