I applied mkswap on root partition: help! - SOLVED

Daniel 'Fremen' Llewellyn diddledan at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 5 18:44:19 UTC 2006

On 05/12/06, Donatas G. <dgvirtual at akl.lt> wrote:
> I did a normal startup, as before the catastrophe. And, I had the same
> situation before the catastrophe - that is why, in part, I did what I did to
> my / partition (since hda6 was /, hda5 must be swap, i thought).
>
> By the way, this is not the first time I get this problem of mixed up
> partition names. I had during dapper installation on a different computer. I
> was doing it into a computer with windows and debian, and I have played with
> partitions a lot. So in the Dapper installer partitioner I saw the partitions
> numbered in a wrong way. I guest the right one by it"s size at that time.

it seems to me, though I may be wrong, that hda6 is indeed your / when
using the partition table as presented because you created hda5 (the
swap) BEFORE creating the hda6 (/), but put it at the end of the free
space. there is a limit in the partitioner that it doesn't reorder the
entries in the partition table so that they are in the order presented
on the disk. This means that you could have a primary partition at the
end of your disk (say hda3 for instance) and the extended partition
sandwiched between hda3 and the primaries earlier in the disk, which
would give you something like the following in the partitioner:

--
Regards,
    Daniel "Fremen" Llewellyn