I applied mkswap on root partition: help! - SOLVED

Donatas G. dgvirtual at akl.lt
Tue Dec 5 17:50:11 UTC 2006

antradienis 05 gruodis 2006 17:02, Lothar Braun rašė:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 05 December 2006 15:51, Donatas G. wrote:
> > root at bala:~# mount
> > /dev/hda6 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> > proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> > /sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> > varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
> > varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
> > procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
> > udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
> > devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> > devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> > lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
> > /dev/hda1 on /media/hda1 type vfat (rw,iocharset=utf8,umask=000)
> > /dev/hda2 on /media/hda2 type ntfs (rw,nls=utf8,umask=0222)
> > /dev/hda7 on /media/hda7 type vfat (rw,iocharset=utf8,umask=000)
> > binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
> > /dev/hdb on /media/cdrom0 type iso9660 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=dg)
> > /dev/sda1 on /media/usbdisk type vfat
> > (rw,nosuid,nodev,quiet,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,iochar
> >se t=utf8)
> >
> > ### so here the root partition is, suddenly, /dev/hda6 - which is
> > INCORRECT!
> >
> > I will file a bug report regarding this problem.
>
> Did you do a normal startup or did you boot into single user mode? Which
> parameters did you pass to the kernel?

I did a normal startup, as before the catastrophe. And, I had the same
situation before the catastrophe - that is why, in part, I did what I did to
my / partition (since hda6 was /, hda5 must be swap, i thought).

By the way, this is not the first time I get this problem of mixed up
partition names. I had during dapper installation on a different computer. I
was doing it into a computer with windows and debian, and I have played with
partitions a lot. So in the Dapper installer partitioner I saw the partitions
numbered in a wrong way. I guest the right one by it"s size at that time.

--
Donatas Glodenis
http://dg.lapas.info