update available or not?

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Dec 5 22:52:53 GMT 2006

D. R. Evans wrote:
> More update weirdness... (Why is it that update issues seem to consume
> so much reflector bandwidth? Or is it just me imagining it?)
>
> So...
>
> 0. Using dapper.
> 1. I am running amarok 1.4.3.
> 2. Adept Notifier tells me that there are three updates available [is
> there some way to discover from which apt source it thinks they are
> available??]
> 3. The three packages to be updated are all amarok related
> 4. For example, current amarok package is: 2.1.4.3-0ubuntu8~dapper1
> and the candidate updtae package is: 2.1.4.4-0kubuntu2
> 5. Open synaptic to perform the update
> 6. Execute "Mark all upgrades"
> 7.The status bar of synaptic says: 18509 packages listed, 1416
> installed, 0 broken, 0 to install/upgrade. 0 to remove
> 8. If I select "amarok" and check its properties, synaptic says that
> it's installed and upgradeable.
>
> What's going on? Can anyone please explain in plain English?

Ff you run the command:
apt-cache policy [package]
(no need for sudo) it will tell you the current installed version, the
latest version available and what versions are available from which source.

You can also try doing the update from the command line to see if there
are actually any updates:
sudo apt-get upgrade

Tez