Kubuntu, first impressions.

Raphaël Pinson raphink at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 4 11:20:44 GMT 2006

On 12/4/06, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati <renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:
> As in any change, there are good and bad points; I am trying to understand
> better the reasons behind some of those, because this will help me decide if
> I can live with what I'm not used to for now, or not.

This is about innovation. A few things change but the whole thing is
still quite the same.

> I have been toying with Linux since Slackware 2.0, a looong time ago, and I
> started using Mandrake as my only desktop OS some years back, in the days of
> Mdk 6.1, whenever this was.
>
> And I had never before met a /media/ mounting dir; must be a new thing.
>

> "Raphaël Pinson" <raphink at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > You can read about Linux hierarchy
> > standards on this page: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ ,

To try and be a bit more specific (and save you some search), here is
an abstract from FHS 2.3:

[quote]
3.11. /media : Mount point for removeable media
3.11.1. Purpose
This directory contains subdirectories which are used as mount points
for removeable media such as floppy disks, cdroms and zip disks.

Historically there have been a number of other different places used
to mount removeable media such as /cdrom, /mnt or /mnt/cdrom. Placing
the mount points for all removeable media directly in the root
directory would potentially result in a large number of extra
directories in /. Although the use of subdirectories in /mnt as a
mount point has recently been common, it conflicts with a much older
tradition of using /mnt directly as a temporary mount point.
[/quote]

>  "Henri Girard" <henrigira at numericable.fr> who wrote:
>
> > i didn't like sudo (and still don't like it) but they are so many
> > advantages with kub that i forget this "backward"...

As a side note, for people who don't like to prepend sudo before all
there admin commands, there are ways to get permanent administrator
privileges without having to set a password for root (which is not
recommended):

* sudo -i : this option makes you root with your own password. You are
logged as root, your home directory becomes /root (unless you changed
~root home in /etc/password). `sudo -i` is the equivalent for `sudo su
-` or `sudo su - root` if you will. Note that combined with the -u
switch ─ used to execute as another user ─ this can allow you to
switch to another user account with your own password (provided you
have the proper rights for that). For example, `sudo -i -u john` will
have you log as user john.

* sudo -s : this is a recommended option for a permanent
administration shell. You become root, but you keep your own settings
and home directory.

sudo allows a great management of users rights on systems, allowing to
set administrative privileges for some users on some machines and some
commands. You can then allow some users to execute a few commands as
root, without given the root password to everybody. See the sudoers
manual for more infos on it (or man:/sudoers in Konqueror).

Regards,

Raphaël Pinson - raphink at ichthux.com
http://www.raphink.info
Ichthux - http://www.ichthux.com - Linux for Christians