ATI fglrx driver and shutting down

José Alexandre Nalon nalon at terra.com.br
Sun Aug 27 15:58:05 UTC 2006

Hello,

> > The laptop doesn't shutdow anymore;
> > When shutting down the screens comes black but the system doesn't stop.
>
> I get a similar problem on my desktop.  Sometimes, instead of turning
> black, the splash screen comes up mangled and freezes.

I had this same problem, and I solved it editting my kdmrc
file. It seems there is a bug in the fglrx drives that doesn't
allow kdm to shutdown properly. In my case, the solution was
easy: I just edited my kdmrc file (/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc), and
in the [X-:*-Core] session, uncommented the line

TerminateServer=true

You might have to add the line manually, if the file was
overwritten by any configuration tool. After doing this, I
didn't have any other problem. I hope it helps you.

--
José Alexandre Nalon
nalon at terra.com.br