Kubuntu installation problems - addendum

Alastair Preston aprestn5 at telus.net
Fri Aug 25 03:48:23 UTC 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 11:23, Alastair Preston wrote:
> On Thursday 24 August 2006 05:58, Bill wrote:
> > Many thanks to Alistair Preston and Jonathan Jesse.
> >
> >  I started again and installed the live version only.  The modem was
> > active and connected, Konqueror connected and did a google search without
> > any problem.
> >
> > I tried your suggested command in the terminal, it did not work, but
> > produced lots of text.  Essentially, connections could not be made or
> > files found.  I tried to save the messages as a text file and as a .doc
> > file, but the live CD version does not appear to have access to either
> > the floppy drive or my Windows FAT32 partitions.  I have found that even
> > my incomplete installations do that.
> > However, I found my way to the sources.list file and verified that the
> > links to dapper main restricted are uncommented.  The only other
> > references to repositories are to dapper universe, these are commented.
> >
> > As you may guess, I am now back in Windows XP.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Bill
>
> Hmmm.. My sources.list had several other commented out entries; here's my
> sources.list after uncommenting them and adding one other (I'm in Canada,
> and noticing the ca, prefix, am now wondering if the mirror may have been
> configured during install, possibly dependant on locale selection)

As a follow-up I booted from a live CD and checked the pre-installation
version of /etc/apt/sources.list in the ramdisk, and it has the non-localized
repository listings, as follows:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
# deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper universe
# deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper universe

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main restricted

Perhaps you could try adding in the dapper-updates lines to the
pre-installation sources.list (without the ca. localization in my previous
post)  Mind you, it's also possible your local mirror is being  incorrectly
configured during installation, in which case it may help to try another
mirror...

Al Preston