Kubuntu installation problems - addendum
tlinux at telia.com
Fri Aug 25 13:37:38 BST 2006
fredag 25 augusti 2006 13:51 skrev Bill:
Konqueror worked for me as well, i could surf the internet with no glitches
what so ever but i just culd not "apt-get" or "aptitude" anything, that is
what puzzled me to begin with.
My sources.list was also commented out, i really think that you should try
> For Torbjörn Lindgren
> I have discovered that the crucial file, etc/apt/sources.list is completely
> "commented out by the installer because it does not verify".
> Thanks for the suggeston re DNS, but I do not think the problem is there
> because Konqueror connects to the intenet without difficulty.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Tobbe Lindgren" <tlinux at telia.com>
> To: <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 11:40 AM
> Subject: Re: Kubuntu installation problems - addendum
> fredag 25 augusti 2006 05:48 skrev Alastair Preston:
> > On Thursday 24 August 2006 11:23, Alastair Preston wrote:
> > > On Thursday 24 August 2006 05:58, Bill wrote:
> > > > Many thanks to Alistair Preston and Jonathan Jesse.
> > > >
> > > > I started again and installed the live version only. The modem was
> > > > active and connected, Konqueror connected and did a google search
> > > > without any problem.
> > > >
> > > > I tried your suggested command in the terminal, it did not work, but
> > > > produced lots of text. Essentially, connections could not be made or
> > > > files found. I tried to save the messages as a text file and as a
> > > > .doc
> > > > file, but the live CD version does not appear to have access to
> > > > either the floppy drive or my Windows FAT32 partitions. I have found
> > > > that even my incomplete installations do that.
> > > > However, I found my way to the sources.list file and verified that
> > > > the links to dapper main restricted are uncommented. The only other
> > > > references to repositories are to dapper universe, these are
> > > > commented.
> > > >
> > > > As you may guess, I am now back in Windows XP.
> > > >
> > > > Regards
> > > >
> > > > Bill
> > >
> > > Hmmm.. My sources.list had several other commented out entries; here's
> > > my
> > > sources.list after uncommenting them and adding one other (I'm in
> > > Canada,
> > > and noticing the ca, prefix, am now wondering if the mirror may have
> > > been
> > > configured during install, possibly dependant on locale selection)
> > As a follow-up I booted from a live CD and checked the pre-installation
> > version of /etc/apt/sources.list in the ramdisk, and it has the
> > non-localized repository listings, as follows:
> > -------------------------------------------------------------
> > deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper main restricted
> > deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper main restricted
> > ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
> > ## repository.
> > ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the
> > Ubuntu
> > ## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as
> > to
> > ## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
> > ## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
> > security
> > ## team.
> > # deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper universe
> > # deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper universe
> > deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main restricted
> > deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main restricted
> > ------------------------------------------------------------
> > Perhaps you could try adding in the dapper-updates lines to the
> > pre-installation sources.list (without the ca. localization in my
> > previous post) Mind you, it's also possible your local mirror is being
> > incorrectly
> > configured during installation, in which case it may help to try another
> > mirror...
> > Al Preston
> I suffered from a similar problem when i installed dapper on my laptop.
> The solution to this problem (for me, anyway) was to change the DNS in my
> network settings to the actual DNS adress from my internet provider, they
> set as the machines IP by default. After that i could use apt-get, aptitude
> and everything else to download and install updates.
> I didn't try, but maybe it is possible to change the DNS settings before
> install in order to get the system updated during installation.
> My thread in kubuntuforum.org
> Extra repositories added in sources.list:
> I did not have to change anything here.
> Hope this helps!
> Torbjörn Lindgren
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> This email has been verified as Virus free
> Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net
More information about the kubuntu-users