locate file in package?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 00:50:51 BST 2006

On 16/08/06, Roshan Mansinghani <rosh1182 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. Search for a file from a package that has not been installed.
>
>    - Ensure that the package "apt-file" is already installed
>    - Launch KPackage
>    - Navigate to:  File -> Find File
>    - Click the checkbox at the bottom that allows you to search within
>    packages that are not installed.
>    - Run the search
>
> If this does not answer the question, please indicate if the solution does
> not work or if I misunderstood the question

It doesn't seem to work, although it sure seems like it ought to.

I tried a bunch of variations on "wine" (which is not installed): wine,
/usr/bin/wine, *wine*; none of them gave any results.
I also tried searching on "make" (which is installed): make, /usr/bin/make,
*make*, none of those gave any results either.

According to adept, I do have apt-file installed.