Slow cd ripping with KAudioCreator - SOLVED

Ylan Segal ylan.segal at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 12:34:13 UTC 2006

Ylan Segal wrote:
> I have a laptop running Ubuntu/Kubuntu 6.06. I tried using KAudioCreator
> to rip a cd yesterday to mp3. I have lame installed and the ripping was
> done correctly, except that it was very, very slow. I am talking about
> 1X speed (~60 mins per cd).
>
> I doubt it is a hardware problem because the same computer running
> Windows XP 2 months ago could do the ripping in about 10 minutes.
>
> Does anybody else see this behavior with KAudioCreator? Can you
> recommend another cd ripper?

Following up my own post:

After ripping with Konqueror, I found the speed was actually the same as
in KAudioCreator, which pointed to the lame.

It turns out that you can tune the actual lame command the KAudioCreator
 uses, and everything is solved by changing "lame --presets standard
..." with "lame --presets fast standard ..."[1]. The result is ripping
that is as fast as I had in windows and the resulting mp3 seem to have
very good quality.

[1] man lame has more information on what the presets definitions are.

--
Ylan