Zire 31 working with Dapper anyone ?

Ylan Segal ylan.segal at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 13:27:37 BST 2006

Anita Lewis wrote:
> On 08/15/2006 03:56 PM Ylan Segal wrote:
>>Hope I didn't send you off in a wild goose chase.
> Yeee Hahhh!  I should say, you definitely sent me on a great goose chase.

Glad I could be of help!

> I just couldn't let go of this.  Since I couldn't get the Debian way of
> compiling to work, probably from not running sudo often enough...
> Anyway, I just copied the config from /boot and compiled the kernel with
> an old-fashil 'make' and the little .o files were spit out nicely.  I
> copied usbcore.o to the /lib/modules directory where it belonged, naming
> it usbcore.ko.

I had not thought of that. To me, it sounds like a good way to go about
it, since it is just usbcore.o that changes. I am going to try it myself.

> I couldn't get usbcore to unload so that I could reload it; so I
> rebooted.  I plugged in to the hub, hit HotSync, and synced with no
> problem at all.  Bingo!
> Thanks so much to all of you folks.  I really appreciate your help
> troubleshooting this.

No problem. I spent one whole month troubleshooting my ipod, in the
process learning a lot about usb and kernel compilation, only to find
out that what was actually faulty was the ipod itself!