locate file in package?

Rob Blomquist rob.blomquist at verizon.net
Mon Aug 14 21:02:25 BST 2006

>I have just started experimenting with kubuntu, after years of working with

I am nearly in the same place as you. But I am committed to figuring all the differences between the RH way and the Debian way.

>I have a simple question. Suppose that I want to install a package that
>will install a particular file, X. How do I determine which package will
>provide the file X?

I rather like Adept, the file installion gui. It has a search GUI which should fine the package you desire.

But a "sudo apt-cache search filename" should work at the command line.

Rob Blomquist
Mountlake Terrace, WA