KMail and spam

Stratos Laspas stratos at laspas.gr
Thu Aug 3 07:41:40 UTC 2006

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
> On Sunday 23 July 2006 13:14, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've set up KMail with spamassasin to fight spam, but I'm not very happy
>> about it's efficiency. It only flags about 40-50% of the spam as spam. I've
>> configured spamassassin with razor2 and dcc.
>>
>> Is this the best I can hope for or have I done something wrong in
>> configuring spamassassin?
>
> Ok, I've cleaned out my old .spamassassin directory in home, and going with
> the default-setup (mostly). And I've set up bogofilter as well.
>
> Now the 2 of them (spamassassin and bogofilter) catches about 20-50% of the
> spam I receive. Stil not good.

You could lower the threshold in the spamassassin conf file in your home
folder and you could also remove the --no-sync option from the filter
that manually marks emails as spam, so that changes take effect
immediately, instead of having to sync every now and them from the
command line. You could also unmark the option to mark the messages as
read, so that you can better tell which was marked as spam (and correct
if needed).

Spamassassin takes some training to catch up with your usual spam
patterns. In my setup I practically get not spam in the inbox, after a
couple of weeks of use. I have set up bogofilter and the "perl" option
of spamassassin (not the deamon).