Trouble with an HP 5440 Deskjet printer

Glenn Enright elinar at ihug.co.nz
Wed Aug 2 01:46:33 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 02 August 2006 13:29, Wafa Hakim Orman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So I just bought a brand-new HP Deskjet 5440 after checking & making
> sure that it is indeed Linux-compatible. However, I seem to have an
> insane amount of trouble making it work. Basically the USB device (I
> just want to set it up as a local printer) is not detected.
>
> The option to select a local printer in the Add Printer wizard is greyed
> out. If I manually put in a port, like usb:/dev/bus/usb/lp it lets me
> add a printer, but does nothing when I try & print a test page.
>
> I got the following output from dmesg:
> hub 1-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?

So right there I would check that something else works in that usb port, or
try a different port and see if you get the same message. Perhaps use that
cable with a known good piece of hardware as well if you can.

Is there more than one place to plug the usb cable into the printer? check you
have the right one... (Silly but possible ;) ).

Does you installation have hplip installed and starting at boot with cups?