[OBORONA-SPAM] Re: ipod madness

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Tue Apr 25 07:56:20 UTC 2006

This could be due to "cluster slack" with the fat32 fs. You have probably
formatted it with very small clusters of maybe 4k? This is well suited to
text documents and relatively small files, but will be inefficient when using
lots of large files (like mp3s). Best bet is to check what cluster size it is
at the moment and adjust it to something like 64k if it isn't already there.
I only know of one tool that can do this to drives without reformatting them
in the process "Acronis Disc Director" or "Acronis Partition Expert".
In the worst case scenario you could be wasting 10-20% of space by using very
wrong cluster sizes.
Has anyone noticed in wind**s when you look at a files properties it give you
two sizes - the first is the size of the file and the second is the size it
takes up on disc (with cluster slack taken into consideration). As it turns
out the second figure is always almost larger.
I know that on Linux the ReiserFS doesn't suffer from this or XFS (I haven't
research ext2/3 or JFS) and judging from what you're saying HPFS also avoids
this problem.

Gabe