Strange behavior from liveCD beta

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Mon Apr 24 22:06:28 UTC 2006

I am new to kubuntu, with - up to now - a Debian unstable desktop running kde.

I have just made a CD-RW from the 6.06 beta live cd and tried to boot.  I
downloaded it from bittorrent.

All appears to work fine to start with, but when it gets to the point of
starting up the X server, I am left with a screen which is light blue, and
absolutely nothing else on it.  I can move the mouse about fine, but any
clicks etc do nothing.  There are no icons etc on the screen.

If I do CTL+ALT+F1 (or indeed any up Fn up to F6) I get a text console with a
user (not root) prompt. Hitting return and I get a repeat prompt.  BUT
attempt any command, the whole screen locks solid (such that CTRL-C doesn't
bring the prompt back).  CTRL+ALT+F7 returns to the graphic screen, but that
remains unresponsive.

Only way out seems to be a physical reset.

I tried running the "test the CD" option.  That ran for a while and eventually
left me in exactly the same mode as the standard boot option.

Is this a known problem?  is there any way I can debug what is happening?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk