Partitioning drives

Michel D'HOOGE michel.dhooge at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 14:15:05 UTC 2006

> I have a 30GB drive with XP on it and I would like to maintain a dual
> boot capability.  I also have a slave 6.0 GB drive on which I want to
> install Kubuntu

If I were you, I would do the following:
You can let the installer choose the best partitioning on your slave drive
(should be labeled hdb or sdb). But since it is quite small, I'd rather
create only a single root (/) partition and a swap partition.

I think I should have a /home directory so that when 6.06 final comes
> out I can do a reinstall without losing my data

Unless some really annoying bugs are found, you won't have to reinstall when
the final version is out. The system will upgrade itself automatically. This
can be compared to Windows Update (which can upgrade to a new service pack)
but on the contrary of WU, the whole system is upgraded (Operating system
and all applications)!

I know very little about Linux so I am looking for guidance on what
> partitions to place on the Linux drive, their sizes, which should be
> bootable, logical or primary, what mount points to use, etc.

Logical is only interesting if you plan to have more than 4 partitions. At
the end of the installation, you will be asked to install grub. The default
options should be correct.

HTH
--
Michel