Alternatives to dual boot

Daniel Axtell dan_axtell at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 19:25:17 UTC 2006

I'm using Kubuntu 5.04 for AMD-64 as my main operating system, with a Win2K partition on the same machine.  I need to occasionally use Windows to run MS Media Encoder to create streaming .WMV files, or use tax software, etc.  I'm finding dual booting to be an annoyance; there are times when I need to see how something renders in IE, etc. where having to reboot is a time-consuming chore.

 I know a little about Wine, and that there are commercial Windows runtime environments for Linux, but I'm wondering how they fare on a 64-bit distribution, how it would affect upgrading Kubuntu, etc.  Does anyone have any advice on this?

 Thanks.
 Dan