send local mail to remote host

Mitch Thompson mitchthompson at satx.rr.com
Tue Apr 18 11:01:37 UTC 2006

Billy Pollifrone wrote:
> I'm new to Kubuntu and wanted to know how to make the mail for the local
> machine get set to go to another host that already handles mail on the LAN?
>
> Thanks,
> - Billy

If I understand correctly, you mean mail, such as system mail, which
normally gets generated internally and sent to, say, root?

The easiest way I think would be to go into root's home directory and
create a .forward file.  This file contains one line: the email address
you want any mail for root sent to.  If you are running postfix for your
MTA (sendmail will work, as well), it should check for that .forward
file and act appropriately.

Is that what you were wanting to do?  Actually, that will work for ANY
mail sent to that machine, to any user on that machine, whether it is
internally generated mail, or mail from "outside".

--
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and
degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing is