Kubuntu Live DVD + Install disc issues

Michel D'HOOGE michel.dhooge at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 20:35:58 UTC 2006

2006/4/17, Daniel <calcmandan at gmail.com>:

> I downloaded, via torrent, the kubuntu live DVD + install disc.

Since you used bittorrent, the ISO you downloaded should be correct but
maybe the DVD you burned isn't. You should start by verifying the media
using md5sum... but that is really easy only with Linux. And I guess you
only have Windows so far :-( Otherwise try the following command and compare
with the 'correct' MD5 sum
$ md5sum /dev/dvd
The correct sum is on the website or you can compute it with something like:
$ md5sum name-of-the-ISO

 I have
> a spare computer I'm hoping to install Kubuntu on but the computer won't
> boot from the disc.  I set the bios to do so but it just boots to XP.  I
> checked out the structure of the disc and the autorun file is there
> indeed.

autorun is just for windows. Booting a CD/DVD is "before" the filesystem!

 The computer will boot to an old win98 disc I have with no
> problems.  Below is the content of the autorun file:

Maybe you can't boot from a DVD???

When I load the disc while XP is loaded, disctree browser does load and
> gives me a number of options; none of which is to install Kubuntu.  But
> says to boot from the CD to try it or install it.

This is indeed the only solution. But IIRC, old debian installers had a way
to bootstrap from windows... in a /boot directory

Cheers
--
Michel