[kubuntu-users] Re: Announcement from www.kubuntu.de

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 9 20:34:59 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:16:38PM +0200, Christoph Wiesen wrote:
> > Please clarify, is this kubuntu.de or the entire kubuntu project?
>
> From the announcements it's pretty clear that this is about kubuntu.de and the
> developer manpower of amu, I think.

The issue is that when kubuntu.org happened to move to a new machine
amu's request for an account on the machine didn't get handled.  Amu
makes the occational Live CDs that accompany KDE releases so it's
obviouisly useful for him to have an account.  Canonical's sysadmin is
a busy person however and he missed the request.  Amu's account has
now been added so problem solved.

> I'd also like to hear more about the specifics, but looking at the
> announcement I think it's pretty serious news that requests by people who
> spend their free time (without any payments) on making Kubuntu a better
> distribution get completely ignored by Canonical and Shuttleworth - the same
> Shuttleworth that some weeks ago announced he's using Kubuntu himself now and
> will make it "a first class citizen".

This has nothing to do with Mark Shuttleworth and not much to do with
Canonical, it's just the sysadmin missing a request.

> I think Kubuntu is actually great the way it is, but it could be a lot better
> if there was some more commercial backup.

Canonical has been wonderfully supportive of Kubuntu.  As far as I
know they havn't sold any commercial support contracts for it though
so from a commercial point of view it makes little sense to put more
money into it until that starts to happen.

The note on kubuntu.de does make the problem appear far larger than it
was, it did get the issue solved though so time to move along.

Jonathan