Fail on upgrade Hoary->Breeze

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Fri Apr 7 13:25:48 UTC 2006

Boëté Yann wrote:
>>De : David A' Rebel [mailto:obsidion at xtra.co.nz]
>>
>>On Friday 07 April 2006 20:53, Boëté Yann wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I just finish upgrading from kubuntu Hoary to Breezy but I think
>>
>>something
>>
>>>is going wrong.
>>>
>>>Before, I has an automatic start of X + KDM (Like I'm used to)
>>>Now I have only a consol login prompt (And I am not a CLI wizard)
>>>
>>>I tried a sudo startx (Whoo, what a huge challenge to me) but it
>>
>>fail too.
>>
>>  That really wouldn't do what you want...
>>Try startx from your own login or sudo kdm to get the graphical login
>>box then
>>come back with the errors. I'm suspecting something has changed in
>>your
>>xor.conf file but without a little more info it's hard to pinpoint.
>

> I can't copy and past but I put here some resume of log during several try.
>
> Startx from my own login                : unknown command
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/startx from my own login:
> Error in locking .Xauthority
>
> Crtl + Alt + F7: Nothing append
>
> Sudo kdm : Nothing append (and no error message)
>
> Startkde (from my own login)
> KSplash : Couldn't connect to X server
>
> Argh!! I'm lost
>
> --
> Sincerely,
>
> Yann Boëté

You could try to boot from single user mode (can't remember how to do
that off the top of my head) and do a
'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'.

Just a little tip if you want to read boot messages as they *fly* past -
use your digital camera and read from the resulting photo.

HTH.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

I AM Bible Studies and Resources